J.P. McDermott and Western Bop's Fan Box

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

The Stand Finale and Wonderland

We finished up the Three Week Stand at the Quarry House on Saturday night. A fine time was had by all on both sides of the microphone. Andrew Ladson (from the Four Star Combo) made a cool poster you see on the left.

Coincidentally, Andrew won the raffle fair and square. The grand prize was free passes to every Rockabilly Saturday Night for the rest of the year. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy -- and he'll definitely get the most out of it -- he's there most weeks supporting the scene.

My favorite song of the night was Hank Williams' "Ramblin' Man" -- a nice minor-key number with a different feel from what normally do. We've played it once or twice in the last five years, but I think it may hit the main rotation for a little while.

Thanks to everyone who made it out to the Stand. We won't be back at the QHT again until May 24 (for a two week stand) and then the regular schedule kicks back in .

Sunday night was time for Falling Off The Wagon, Michael Jantz's series at the Wonderland Ballroom. Wonderland is a great corner bar in DC. The crowd there is very friendly and diverse, and the Sunday shows are always fun, but this crowd was especially great. You could just tell everyone wanted to relax and have a great time. First up was the aforementioned Four Star Combo, delivering a fine set of rockabilly. The crowd warmed right up to them, lots of toe tapping and warm applause.

I was wondering what I was going to play -- this was a rare solo show for me, and I wasn't quite sure how to follow a full band. I still didn't know what to start with when Michael got up to introduce me -- I can't remember exactly what he said, but it was a great big buildup about me being a rockabilly singer, so I figured I'd better sing some rockabilly. I jumped right in with "Rock and Roll Ruby" -- you rarely go wrong with a Warren Smith tune. Worked just like a charm. Within a few minutes people were up dancing and having a great time. I played a little bit of everything -- some Johnny Cash, some Fats Domino, some Wynn Stewart, and a lot more rockabilly. Things really got jumping when Michael through in some percussion and Chris Nemour joined in with harmonica. This picture (provided by the lovely Justina) gives you some sense of what was going on.
All-in-all it was one of the most exhilirating solo shows I've done. I played for about an hour straight, and concluded with a couple of encores.
If you're ever looking for a good time on a Sunday night, stop by and see Michael Jantz at Wonderland starting about 8:00. The music is different every week, but always high quality. It's a great joint, and a good time.
Coming up this weekend -- The Surf Club on Friday and out to Hempen Hill BBQ in Hagerstown on Saturday. See you out there!

1 comment:

ellen cherry said...

great post and kick ass picture! glad you had fun. hope to see you again soon.